Breve Coffee Breves is a classic Italian coffee beverage that consists of espresso, steamed milk, and foam.
Breve is an espresso-based coffee drink that has a frothy, creamy texture.
It’s also sometimes called Caffe Breve Latte or Espresso Carmelato and can be served with steamed milk.
Breves is often enjoyed at breakfast time or after a light dinner.
- Very creamy and fluffy
- Great tasting
- Easy to prepare
- Provides satiety (a feeling of fullness)
- A high-calorie count (568 cal in 16 oz serving) may not make it suitable for those pursuing weight loss.
Popular Espresso Based Drinks Asides Breve Coffees
- Cafe mochas: Cafe mochas are made from combining espresso with steamed milk and chocolate. Whipped cream is commonly used when topping off cafe mochas.
- Cafe romano: A less popular espresso-based beverage, a cafe romano is a shot of espresso with subtle notes of lemon.
- Cappuccino: One of the more common beverages, a cappuccino consists of a shot of espresso with steamed milk and steamed foam.
- Macchiato: Macchiatos consist of a shot of espresso and a tiny bit of milk foam.
- There are several types of macchiatos, such as caramel macchiatos and triple macchiatos.
- Cafe Americano: This is half espresso and half hot water.
- A cafe Americano’sAmericano’s strength varies depending on the proportion of hot water to espresso in the cup.
Thankfully, you can make a coffee breve at home rather than continually buying Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.
This drink can be taken for dessert after dinner or simply as a way to start the morning.
Unfortunately, there are no k-cups available for breve lattes.
On the bright side, you won’t be needing a Keurig machine or any special piece of equipment to make your latte at home.
- Breve Recipe
- Preparation Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- What You Will Need?
- Coffee beans
- Half-and-half milk
- Bowl-shaped coffee mug
- Espresso machine (to make the espresso)
- Milk frothing tool (electric frother or whisk)
- A scoop for measuring
- 1. Two ounces of espresso
- 2. Two ounces of half and half steamed (half whole milk and half light cream)
- 3. Two ounces of foam half and half
NOTE: The ingredients above are suited for one person only.
Depending on how many servings you need to make, you could double or triple the ingredients.
- 1. Steam and froth the half-and-half between 145 to 160 degrees Fahrenheit using a microwave preferably.
- 2. After this, bring out the half and a half to set.
- 3. Measure two ounces of espresso and prepare using an espresso machine.
- 4. Transfer the now steamed half-and-half into a mug. Hold the foam back for later use while doing pouring the half-and-half.
- 5. Pour half of the foam on top
- 6. Pour the espresso into the mug slowly
- 7. Add the remaining half foam to the contents of the cup.
- 8. Serve and enjoy!!
Nutritional Profile of Homemade Breves
The nutritional profile of the homemade breve latte above is as follows:
- Calories 97mg
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Sodium: 37mg
- Calcium: 74mg
- Vitamin A: 200 IU
- Potassium: 138mg
NOTE; The above nutritional profile is for a one-person serving size using two ounces of the required ingredients.
You can measure your own nutritional profile using apps such as MyFitnessPal.
Breve vs Latte The Difference
A latte is made from two ingredients which are your espresso and steamed milk.
Your typical latte begins with the espresso shots, after which the steamed milk is poured with a layer of foam on top.
Breve lattes, on the other hand, are made by adding steamed half-and-half instead of steamed milk.
This gives it a richer flavor than a latte with a lot of foam.
Half-and-half here refers to half whole milk and half light cream.
What is a Breve at Starbucks
A breve is a coffee drink made with one-half steamed milk and one-half hot espresso or brewed coffee.
It constitutes half of the Italian (Ristretto) tradition of beverage proportions, which holds that espresso should consist only of the “true” part while omitting any dilution from an accompanying liquid.
Regular Starbucks drinks have two parts – 1/2 espresso + 1/2 steamed milk to make it easier on the baristas and customers. A latte is 2 parts –*1/2 steamed milk +*1/2 frothed milk+ topped with caramel sauce). Breve latte is 2 parts – 1/2 steamed milk + 1/2 espresso+ topped with caramel sauce.
Breve is similar to a Cappuccino Breve, made with one-third steamed milk and one-third of the espresso. Breve may also be referred to as Brevant or Brever in some places.
What is an Iced Breve?
An iced Breve Latte is an iced coffee drink consisting of espresso mixed with milk and ice cubes.
Iced breves are very popular in the summertime as they cool and boost caffeine without being too heavy. The richness of the cream makes them very satisfying when cold!
This drink is rich and delicious and will make you feel energized after consuming it.
It is a lightweight alternative to an iced vanilla latte which contains more calories due to sugar content.
If you like lattes, however, this one would be perfect for you even on its own merit, thanks to its balance of flavor.
- 1. Lattes are espressos and frothed milk, while breve lattes are espresso and a half-and-half.
- 2. Lattes are topped with a smaller quantity of milk foam compared to a Caffe breve.
- 3. Lattes tend to have flavored syrups added to them, unlike breve lattes.
Breve coffees are some of the richest and creamiest coffee drinks out there and deserve more respect than they currently do.
Be sure to try our recipe and measure accordingly, depending on how much you need to make.
Who knows, you could just end up switching from a frappuccino fan to breve lattes forever.